Stromness Drama Club sweep the board on final night of festival
The winners of the Scottish Community Drama Association Orkney District preliminary festival were Stromness Drama Club with their production of Confessional, written by David Weir.
On the final night of the festival, last night, in front of a full house at the Orkney Theatre, the club also picked up several other awards, while their youth group came third overall, also picking up The Orcadian Youth Trophy.
In second place overall was Birsay Drama Group (Greenay) with their performance of Gail Young’s Cheshire Cats, Act III.
The three groups that progress to the divisional finals in Dunkeld later this month are Stromness, Birsay, and fourth-placed Palace Players (Earls), as two groups from the same company cannot go through.
• Challenge Cup for first place overall — Stromness Drama Club.
• Firth Trophy for second place overall — Birsay Drama Group (Greenay).
• A. C. Hunter Cup for third place overall — Stromness Drama Club (Youth).
• The Orcadian Youth Trophy — Stromness Drama Club (Youth).
• Ernie Donaldson Trophy for highest marks in direction — Graham Garson, Stromness Drama Club.
• George Scott Cup for best stage setting — Stromness Drama Club.
• St Magnus Parish Trophy — Birsay Drama Group (Greenay).
• Isles Cup — Hoy and Walls Entertainments Group.
• Jean Campbell Memorial Trophy for play depicting Scottish life and character — Stromness Drama Club.
• Corsie Cup for play depicting best moment of theatre — Stromness Academy Players.
Full report in next week’s The Orcadian.