Man jailed following fireworks incident
A 48-year-old man has been jailed for six months after setting off fireworks in Broad Street, Kirkwall, on Saturday, December 30.
Norman Wood has admitted to culpable and reckless behaviour, following the incident, seen below.
Norman Wood, 48, jailed for six months after admitting culpable and reckless behaviour after setting fireworks off in #Kirkwall on Dec 30 last year. #keepingpeoplesafe #keepingorkneysafe pic.twitter.com/fDrQOX5PLy
— OrkneyPolice (@OrkneyPolice) January 11, 2018
Police Scotland has also issued a warning about the misuse of fireworks following Mr Wood’s imprisonment.
Though nobody was injured in the incident, police say that the area was busy with members of the public on foot and in vehicles at the time. Orkney area commander Chief Inspector Matt Webb has warned that the misuse of fireworks will not be tolerated.
“Norman Wood’s actions were entirely reckless and it is fortunate that nobody was injured as a result,” he said.
“Fireworks can be incredibly dangerous when not used safely and the consequences of his behaviour could have been far more severe.
“My message is simple – we will not tolerate the misuse of fireworks and will take action against anyone who sets them off in a reckless manner. Do not set off fireworks under the influence of alcohol and do not set them off in a public place — this is an offence which we will deal with robustly. I would also urge retailers to be responsible when selling fireworks to members of the public.
Chief Inspector Webb said he was grateful for the support of the public, which helped lead to Norman Wood’s conviction, adding that it was a good example of officers working in partnership with the public to help keep Orkney safe.